When Allergies Attack Infographic
When Allergies Attack! Asthma and Allergies in America
Breakdown percentage of people in the U.S. that have
- 7.7% have asthma
- 55% test positive for one or more allergens
- More than 2 million adults aged 65 and over have asthma
- 1 in 5 people have either allergy or asthma symptoms
- 33% of children with one allergic parent develop allergies.
- 70% of children with two allergic parents develop allergies.
Percentage of U.S. Households with:
- 39% one or more dogs
- 100% of U.S. households contain detectable levels of dog and cat dander
- 36% one or more cats
Indoor Air Pollution
- 90% of our lives are spent indoors
- In the United States indoor pollution exceeds levels of outdoor pollution by 2 to 100 times
8 out of 10 households use pesticides inside and outside the home
Related Illness (Health Care & Business Costs)
- Asthma causes 10.5 million missed school days per year
- 4 million workdays are lost to hay fever annually
- $7.9 billion one estimate of the annual cost of allergies to the health care system an businesses in the U.S.
- 44% of people hospitalized for asthma are children
- In the U.S. 1.8 million ER visits were caused by asthma in 2004