Bike Danger Infographic
The Dangers with Bicycling in Cities
Frequent Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- Inattentive driver
- Drivers failing to yield to cyclists
- Drivers opening door without looking
- Defective bicycle parts
- Negligence of commercial vehicles and trucks
Injured Sustained in Bicycle Accidents
- Traumatic brain injuries
A REAL WAKE-UP CALL
Bicycle accident statistics
- 630 bicyclists died on US roads in 2009
- 74 were 14 or younger
- 2%: bicyclists deaths represented of all 2009 traffic fatalities
- Bicyclists 15 and under killed: 93
- Bicyclists 15 and under injured: 13,000
- Number of bicyclist injured in traffic rose sharply from 2007-2009 (43,000 in 2007 and 51,000 in 2009)
- Average age of bicyclist killed on US roads: 41
- Average age if a bicyclist injured on US roads: 31
Sampling of Laws Applicable to Protect Bicycle Riders
- Drivers are to pass on the left side of cyclists with a safe distance separating them.
- No person shall open the door of a vehicle until it is safe to do so.
- The driver of a vehicle shall not drive or park in the designated bicycle lane.
- Drivers shall yield to bicyclists making a left turn.
- Drivers shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with a bicyclist.
Sources: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration / ChicagoBikeInjuryLawyers.com / BHSI.org